Software Engineer (Chinese speaker)
Condé Nast International publishes Vogue, Wired, Ars Technica, Vanity Fair, Glamour, Gq, and many other leading brands. We're in China Japan, Taiwan, India, Russia, Italy, France, Spain, Germany, the UK and Mexico.
In total we run 64 websites for about 220 million monthly uniques. We're profitable, privately owned and committed to constantly reinventing ourselves at the tender age of 107.
One of our most important markets in China, where we will be working closely with the product and engineering team on the ground. We're seeking a Mandarin speaking engineer to support that process.
This is a new international team, with the opportunity to help define what we ship and how we ship it. You'll get a rate look at digital publishing around the world. You'll be working with experienced folks in product, data and UX who have done this before. And you'll have a leadership team that gets it, a clear strategy to execute on and the freedom to get on with it your way.
Historically, we've had different tech stacks in markets all over the world. Now we’re looking at unifying our core platform, including our CMS and data infrastructure. This is a new international team, with the opportunity to help define what we ship and how we ship it. You'll get a rare look at digital publishing around the world. You'll be working with experienced folks in product, data and UX who have done this before. And you'll have a leadership team that gets it, clear strategy to execute on and the freedom to get on with it your way.
Skills & Requirements
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ship code that works and makes users happy.
- Own your features from backlog to deployment and beyond.
- Build well-documented services used by teams worldwide
- Move fast, and shout when something is in your way
- When you have to, ask for forgiveness, not permission
- Know that understanding your users isn't someone else's job.
- As part of the core platform team own success of our products
- Work closely with our colleagues in China and assist in communication between our teams.
Essential Skills and Requirements:
- Native or fluent proficiency in Mandarin or Cantonese and full professional proficiency in English.
- Experience with AWS, Git, node.js, MongoDB and Redis.
- A degree in journalism or computer science related field would be adventageous.
- Experience in a fashion related role a plus.
- Know the web. Front- end performance, caching strategies, progressive enhancement, hipster frameworks, etc.
- Have a passion for fashion
- Ideally, be happy to work across the whole stack. Of course everyone has their specialisms.
- Experience with React and node.js is a plus, but we're not wedded to anything.
- Know your way around AWS.
- Experience working with editorial teams is great. As in a passion for the future of journalism, and a healthy distate for 3rd party ad-tech.
- Experience writing systems operating in multiple regions and languages a plus.
- Experience writing one-time scripts to pull gross data from creaky old databases a plus. #kiddingnotkidding.
- If you've built an API-centric CMS before, or something similar, that will come in handy.
- Know how to be lean, and do good work without a ton of process. Dislike meetings, but know when they're handy.